Wednesday, September 9, 2009

"Drop Kick Me Jesus (Through the Goalposts of Life)" Forges Friendship with Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis

Joe Armstrong, Friend of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis


Drop-kick Me, Jesus, Through the Goalposts of Life (by Paul Craft)

Drop-kick me, Jesus, through the goalposts of life,

End over end, neither left nor to right.

Straight through the heart of them righteous uprights

Drop-kick me, Jesus, through the goalposts of life.

Make me, Oh make me, Lord, more than I am

Make me a part of your master game plan

Free of the earthly tempestions belowI've got the will, Lord, if you've got the toe.

Chorus: Bring on the brothers who've gone on before

Bring on the sisters who've knocked on your door.

Bring on those sainted relations of mine......And put them up front in the offensive line.



In the latter years of her life, Jackie reached out to people who interested her--like Joe Armstrong, a young Texan from Abilene, who had rescued 'Rolling Stone' magazine from obscurity in the early 1970's. When Jackie heard the story of how he raised staff morale by putting on a song 'Dropkick Me Jesus (Through the Goalposts of Life)' and directing the speaker out of the window on to Park Avenue, "she broke into laughter so hard that she cried and said, 'Get me Joe Armstrong's telephone number!' says Armstrong. 'She just called me for lunch. She wanted the record and the only place I could find it was an antique record store in Dallas. And Jackie memorized all the words to that song.'"

No comments: