Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dear Uncle Teddy, Will You Be My Godfather Now?











All I could think about when I heard the news of Senator Ted Kennedy's passing was something I read in 2000:



One totem of their anguish hangs in family patriarch Ted Kennedy's private Senate office. On a piece of lined school paper, Caroline's youngest, who was John Jr.'s nephew and godson, wrote, "Dear Uncle Teddy, Will you be my godfather now? Love, Jack." It hangs next to a note that JFK penned as a prep school student: "Dear Mom and Dad, It is the night before exams so I will write more later. Love, Jack. P.S. Can I be godfather to the baby [Teddy]?" The answer was yes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

so poignant and such an incredible glimpse into their close, tragic, happy unbelievable family.

Niki said...

Wow I read tha tover and over again. I got chills so poignant and sweet.