Saturday, August 29, 2009

Images of Jackie's "Favorite Things" in Her Dressing Room















Jackie Kennedy once described her White House dressing room as "the only place I can really relax, read and write." She felt it's decor truly reflected her personality and aesthetic--elegant, romantic, familiar and soothing--and she filled it with family photos and french antiques, pale blue raw silk fabrics and leopard prints. (Interestingly enough, a blue chaise lounge like Jackie's--see second photo from bottom--can be purchased online at Target for $449.99) Also, like many of her later homes, the dressing room also contained a simple bulletin board with personal notes and pictures tacked onto it.



I found the wardrobe painted with images from throughout Jackie's life particularly fascinating. She told visitors the images represented "the most important events in my life" and seeing them gives some insight into what Jackie truly cherished.



Together, Jackie and french decorator, Monsieur Stephane Boudin, commissioned French artist Pierre-Marie Rudelle to create the painted trompe l'oeil doors in her White House dressing room. The only direction they gave to Rudelle were to recreate some of the photos they provided him--telling him they were "Jackie's favorite things." With Jackie looking on, the images Rudelle painted included:

- A 1935 photo of Jackie with her father after she won a rosette in a Long Island horse show

- Profiles in Courage bookjacket


- A "Look" magazine photo of her taking a tumble off her horse, "Bit of Irish"


- Her watercolor painting of the White House


- Daisies given to her by her sister


- A portrait of Caroline Kennedy as an infant



It's been awhile but I believe the wardrobe is still on display at the JFK Presidential Library and Museum. I've been asked if it was sold at one of the Sotheby's Auctions--and can't be 100% certain as I don't have the catalog with me--but don't think it was. If anyone knows, it would be great to have this information! Also, if anyone has a better shot of the wardrobe which more clearly shows the drawings on it, please let me know!

5 comments:

A said...

I have both Jackie O auction books, if you would like some scans I am willing to share
let me know

Anonymous said...

Another picture of the dressing room: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/dc/look/look-decor-color-in-the-white-house-architectural-digest-065874

Anonymous said...

Now - is the lounge you are referring to a picture of Jackie's or a picture of the one at Target? If you don't mind - do you have the link for the Target one? I kinda want to own it now :) Yes I am a dork!

keeblerc said...

No, you're far from a dork as I am looking into it, too! It's the button tufted chaise settee in peacock. Here's the link. Happy shopping! I also have a link for the leopard throw (faux and gorgeous if you would like to see it, as well).

http://www.target.com/Button-Tufted-Chaise-Settee-Peacock/dp/B000M3EAM4/ref=sc_ri_3/601-3616711-3946505

keeblerc said...

I'd LOVE the scans!!! Thank you for offering them.