Saturday, August 22, 2009

Mystery of Jackie's Black Bag Solved!






**Note: This is the outfit Carolyn was wearing when she gave "Suzy" the dollar bill from Jackie's purse. Unfortunately, I can't make out the purse in this shot but hope someone else will be able to locate it in different views from that night. The first photo shows the bag I think was Jackie's but I could certainly use some help! :-) Thank you!


From "W" magazine's article "Stealing Beauty," September 1999:


"W" columnist Suzy:

"This is the kind of caring woman Carolyn Bessette Kennedy was. Soon after her marriage, at a party at the Whitney Museum, she asked me to stay a few more minutes before I left. 'I want to talk to you,' she said. She was carrying a black velvet bag. 'This belonged to Jackie,' she said. 'When she carried it or any other of her bags, she always tucked a dollar bill inside. I'm told she never forgot. It was a ritual. Maybe she thought it was an amulet.' Carolyn reached in the bag. 'Here is that dollar bill,' she said. (It was carefully wrapped in cellophane). 'I want you to have it as a memento. You have always been so kind to all the Kennedy family. I know you loved Jackie, and I've been told how she felt about you. She would want you to have it.' I have it. I will always have it."

5 comments:

Mairead said...

I wonder why Jackie carried a $1 dollar bill? Like that was going to get her ANYTHING in NYC! ha ha. This is SUCH a great story. I love it. Great job Keebs!

Anonymous said...

carolyn looks great in that first pic.

alex said...

Thanks for solving the mystery kleebs. My great grandmother told me that you should always have money in your purse.If you don't it means you will have bad luck with money. Maybe Jackie heard the same thing. haha x

Anonymous said...

that was nice of carolyn..some wouldn't have given that $ away..

keeblerc said...

It's one of my favorite Jackie/Carolyn stories! I remember my mother once telling me to always make sure to have enough money to make a call from a pay phone.....not that there were many of those when I began going out to parties but it was something her mother told her. I think it is very indicative of Carolyn's warm, thoughtful personality that she would have given Aileen that dollar. I mean, Aileen didn't know about it so Carolyn's actions were based on that wonderful kindness she showed so many.